From:
"Connors, Timothy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connors, Timothy
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:24:20 +0000
I want to preface my comments about electronic iRATs with a short disclaimer - I have not yet found a (personally) satisfying way of using TBL fully in my upper division undergrad theatre history courses so my experience with electronic iRATs may not align with those of you who have more experience with TBL.  I admit to being self-taught in TBL and to using it in a modified format.

Several years ago I attended a presentation on testing and cheating (sorry, I can't remember the name of the presenter).  I came away from that presentation convinced of what I had been feeling for some time:  students who want to cheat will find a way to cheat no matter how carefully I monitored their activity.  As a result, I moved virtually all of my in-class quizzes to Blackboard.  The quizzes are available for 36 hours prior to the class period during which we will discuss the material covered in the quiz.  I have done the same with a portion of my exams (I give 3-part exams - one part electronic, one part in class, and one part Take Home).  The first question (T/F) on those quizzes/exams is:  "I hereby certify that the person completing this quiz is the person whose name appears as the quiz-taker.  I also certify that I have not discussed questions and/or answers with students who have/have not completed the quiz.  In addition, I certify that I completed this quiz on my own and without help from any outside source."

I've done this now for about 6-7 years.  The results show no significant difference in quiz/test scores for electronic vs. in class.  I have an occasionally anomalous score but overall course grades are exactly in line with what I would predict based on essays, in class discussions, etc.  So, frankly, I've stopped worrying about cheating on electronic iRATs.  Those who want to will, those who don't won't, exactly as they would if I gave the iRAT in class.  Student see the results of their electronic iRATs only in terms of the number of points earned.

Now, it is possible that my experience is out of the ordinary.  Approximately 90% of the students I see in these classes are taking the course as a requirement for their major or minor.  Also, I have had about 50% of them before in other classes or I have worked with them on theatre productions I have directed.

Maybe I have just been incredibly lucky in my experience.

Or I may just be incredibly naive.

Whatever is the case, I am committed to freeing up class time in favor of the electronic iRATs.  The face-to-face time they have with their team is worth the risk for me.

Tim