From:
"Levine, Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levine, Ruth
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:46:13 -0500
Feedback can be difficult to give and receive but it is important. By making its receipt optional you may be giving the message that it is less important.
I give the students the following:
1) the reason for the feedback
2) Instructions in how to give feedback ("Making feedback helpful" by Larry Michaelsen)
3) A midpoint formative feedback session that the students complete on-line, but then they get the results and have to sit down face to face and discuss the group process with each other
4) a final summative feedback which is a percentage multiplier of their group grade.
I give everyone their feedback unfiltered. I read the comments and they are almost never unprofessional although there are rare exceptions.
On occasion a student will come talk to me about their experience with the peer evaluation but that is also rare.

Ruth Levine
UTMB Galveston