From:
LAUX FRITZ <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LAUX FRITZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:48:05 -0500
TBL Community (and Fried Vance):

I've had the same concern/problem that Fried Vance has had.

Well, I don't have bad students ending the semester with course
averages above 80% because my quiz grades tend to be lower (using
harder quizzes, which distresses students differently).  I do,
however, have the problem that students complain that they don't know
what their grades are and such.

Worse, students complain about not knowing their grades even though I
post their letter-grade-to-date once at mid-semester, at week 12 of
16, and often before the final.

Thus, I've thought maybe students just aren't accustomed to having so
many different graded activities (and thus resist). I've been
responding by explaining that this results from the way the class and
evaluation process is structured to help them learn (while they're
probably hearing me suggest that they go soak their heads...).  It
seems they want some sort of a total number of points that they can
add up, which will get them to an A or B, etc.

Any silver bullets out?

Best,

Fritz Laux, Assoc Prof of Economics
Northeastern State University