From:
Steve Cayzer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cayzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2019 17:03:29 +0000
Great thoughts - just to add to this

I use an online platform (OK, intedashboard!) and it works really well. I always have a paper backup but most weeks I get 100% of students completing with their mobile phone or laptop. This gives me real time feedback (invaluable for planning the mini lecture) and makes post analysis much easier.

Students are required to close all books and stay silent for the iRAT, I also ‘invigilate’ (wander round the class). I make it clear that if I see anyone accessing the course notes I will award them zero for the iRAT. In practice, the iRAT is pacey enough (10 questions in 15 minutes) that students don’t really have time to access anything else. Plus, I have tried to make the MCQs more about ‘application’ of the knowledge rather than straight memory. That prepares them well for the application activity.

And I randomise the answers.

I’ve only done this for 1 module, 10 weeks with a class of 80, and it took a few weeks for the rhythm to settle in but once established it worked really well.

By the way, I am doing TBL for a Project Management module, if anyone else is doing this please feel free to get in touch directly.

Bw

Steve