From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:32:12 -0500
Jim,

One possibility would be to view this as an opportunity instead of a
problem. If you ask the question, "Who cares?", the answer is that it is
probably someone who either doesn't know much about TBL hasn't though
much about it. If that's true, some good things might happen if the
professors took the problem (and their data) to the "Who cares" person
or persons and asked for their advice about what to do.

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Jim Sibley <[log in to unmask]> 08/25/11 12:18 PM >>>
I have two instructors that have been using TBL for 7 years and are
reporting an interesting problem....we really donšt know what to do to
łfix˛
it....we probably wonšt do anything....but this is an interesting
phenomena

####################

The first instructor (4th year construction management) gave out his
first
100% on a team capstone design project...basically the project was so
good
that if he had got it from a consulting engineering company....he would
have
been impressed with the quality

the face to face sessions in this course are TBL based....and he has
been
watching student grades increase year after year

His dilemma...is he feels its not appropriate to increase standards
just to
control grades now that the work is professional in quality....but as
course
average creeps up....this may be viewed by his colleagues/department as
bad thing

######################

The second instructor (2nd year Mechanical Design) gave out 117% on
one
final exam......this was only a portion of the course grade....the rub
will
come someday...when a student gets more than 100% in the
course...grades
have been increasing every year (so far)

The dilemma...is that increasing standards might control
grades......but
that what we consider a second year competency is now being
achieved....the
obvious solution at first glance might  be to continuing challenging
students by raising standards....but 2nd year accreditation standards
seems
like they are being achieved

Hmmmm

Just interesting...thought I would share

Jim