From:
Brent Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:27:52 +0900
Impressive that you are able to identify this issue among such a large group of students. Although some might argue that such a situation is rare in team learning, you are dealing with a common problem in group processes.

Cliques can emerge within teams. This can result in evaluations that reflect more on personality than on performance or contribution. This is why it is important for grading criteria to include "faculty observation", and for faculty to closely observe for opportunities to engage with and needs to intervene in team activities.

Actively engaging as an observer and coach can help the faculty intervene in dysfunctional group processes. With "faculty observation" as a grading criteria, you can adjust grades to compensate for inequities inherent in group processes.

-----
Brent Duncan

via iPhone