From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 17:05:48 +0000
> If you don't mind me asking, what's the importance of asking "big picture" questions versus detailed questions?

Readiness Assurance tests should be just that--assuring that students are "ready" to move forward into detailed exploration and application of the content.

It can be quite difficult for students to develop a deep grasp of the material on their own, without the teacher or their peers around to translate and correct misconceptions as necessary.  Depending upon the preparation materials and the nature of the course, the common student complaint that "You're testing us before you've taught us!" does indeed have some merit, so we have to be realistic about that.

Therefore, "readiness" level assessment should be targeted at a basic understanding of the fundamentals of the unit.  In contrast, the fine-grained details, the nitty-gritty, the application ins-and-outs--these are all things best explored in community with fellow students and instructors.

(This is of course a broad generalization and your mileage may vary, but it's the explanation for the distinction between pre-unit READINESS assessments and post-unit MASTERY assessments.)

-M

Michael Sweet, Ph.D.
Director of Instructional Development, Center for Teaching and Learning
MAI 2206  |  Mail Stop G2100  |  (512) 232-1775  |  http://ctl.utexas.edu