From:
Karen Milligan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Milligan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:43:00 -0400
I use the VARK learning styles survey ( http://www.vark-learn.com/english/page.asp?p=questionnaire ) and also licensure area (I teach ed tech to all students who are seeking a license to teach) to create teams. Since I have a small class (24) then I do it in front of the class. After explaining the importance for heterogeneity in teams I then call for all the males with a V score and I put each one in a different group - then females with a V score and so on. As I do this I talk aloud so the students will know how I am doing this. For example this team needs a R with a secondary licensure or this team needs an A with an elementary licensure. I have asked students on a survey at the end of the course if they think the way teams are created should change and the majority say that they like the way I did it.

Also Jim, could you post a link or the bibliographic information for the article that you mentioned.

Thanks,
Karen Milligan
Teacher Education
Carson-Newman College