From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:09:18 -0500
I agree with Jim 100% but, decided to write a post to underscore his point #4.

I think the key is getting students to understand the fact that you are using TBL as: 1) a means of shifting from "covering" content to USING content and 2) being able to actually use the content is important for THEM (in fact, far more important than being able to memorize some terms long enough to pass the final exam).  I think you do this by:
1) Telling them on the first day--I really like Jim's suggestion of having former students talk to them--and I think it would be especially helpful if they were actually out in the work world and could address how much better prepared they were because of the shift.
2) Continuing to remind them throughout the semester by:
-repeating what you said the first day every time you sense some uneasiness
-using language to support what you are doing (e.g. give Readiness Assurance Tests NOT quizzes)
-MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, make sure that you have good application activities after every RAT/RAP (i.e., activities that are characterized by 4 S's [SIGNIFICANT to students, SAME PROBLEM, SPECIFIC CHOICE, SIMULTANEOUS REPORT]. You are asking them to accept the responsibility for getting the basics through their own effort.  As a result, they are likely to feel cheated unless you reward them with good applications as a payoff for their efforts--i.e., they need to know that you are giving them something that is important and that they would never have gotten otherwise.
-Don't forget to remind them of the fact that the team decision-making skills that they are developing will be give them a clear leg-up on being effective in the workplace.

I hope this helps.

Larry

--
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management

[log in to unmask]  <---PLEASE NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS !!!
660/543-4124 voice
660/543-8465 fax

>>> "Sibley, Jim" <[log in to unmask]> 06/18/08 10:21 AM >>>
There's an old quote....keep the undecided away from the unhappy

You will always get "poor" evaluations from some students....I find that
hostile comments on evaluation usually reflect the fact I made someone
uncomfortable (pushed them out of the passive mode, get them out of
their comfort zone....and god forbid help them learn something)

There are a subset of students that want to be passive.....and think
education is about transfer facts from your head to theirs....and if you
aren't lecturing....you aren't doing your job

My Recommendation

1) Sincerely convey a well thought out plan and your rationales....and
don't blink when you are putting this forward....I have seen classes
turn when a few vocal whiners' have grabbed the stage

2) Use something like Brookfield's Critical Incident Questionnaire to
get some midterm feedback....share the themes back to the class....if
the dissenting opinions are clearly a minority it takes away some of
their power

3) Bring some students from a previous year to speak to the TBL
experience

4) Make it clear that the course objective really has shifted from
content knowledge to knowing how to use course concepts....and that
examinations will be more difficult if you have a disconnected set of
facts and not a problem- solving framework developed and that TBL will
help you with this problem- solving framework

5) When I get push back on instructor selected teams...I invite students
to respond to Brickells- Comparison of five team formation methods....in
writing....if they provide a reasonable rationale (I have never seen
one)........ I tell them I will let them self- select.....I have never
had a student take me up on my offer

Hope that helps

Jim

Jim Sibley
Director
Centre for Instructional Support
Faculty of Applied Science
University of British Columbia
2208- 6250 Applied Science Lane
Vancouver, BC Canada
V6T 1Z4

Phone 604.822.9241
Fax 604.822.7006

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: www.learning.apsc.ubc.ca <http://www.learning.apsc.ubc.ca/>
Blog: Adventures in Instructional Support:
http://ipeer.apsc.ubc.ca/wordpress/
e- Portfolio:
http://ipeer.apsc.ubc.ca/wiki/index.php/Jim_Sibley_Portfolio

(c) Copyright 2008, Jim Sibley, All rights reserved The information
contained in this e- mail message and any attachments (collectively
"message") is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the
recipient (or recipients) named above. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this message in error and that any review, use, distribution,
or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e- mail,
and delete the original message.