From:
"Nelson, Michael H" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson, Michael H
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 14:56:46 -0600
Jodi,

Congratulations on making the transition to TBL! At Regis University School of Pharmacy (a new pharmacy school), we have completed our first year of a TBL-based curriculum with high integration of biomedical, pharmaceutical and clinical sciences. I'd be happy to provide insight on our first year's experience for you if that would be helpful sometime.

We count application exercises as part of the overall course grade. For most TBL courses, the overall breakdown is 60% individual (iRAT, exams, peer eval) and 40% team (tRAT and application exercise). During the grade-weight setting exercise near the beginning of each course, students may stipulate 20-30% of course grade to applications and 10-20% to tRAT; so far, they are selected 20% application and 20% tRAT in most courses. It would certainly be wonderful reach a point in the curriculum where it is clear that our students will work on applications just as hard if we didn't grade them, but for now they are graded.

Given our highly integrated curriculum model, we have many different faculty delivering applications in a given course. To help with consistency, we set a rough guideline for point allocation to applications as follows: 10 points for about 30 minutes of work/discussion; 20 points for about 60 minutes, and 40 points for about 120 minutes (for the 2-hour TBL courses). Again, just a rough guideline to help with consistency. The points are converted to a percent score for applications (and for the other categories, like tRATs), so 40 application points are not equivalent to 40 tRAT points for example.

Again, please feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance.

Michael Nelson, PhD, RPh
Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions School of Pharmacy
Regis University, Denver, Colorado
303.625.1265 (phone) 303.625.1305 (fax) [log in to unmask]