From:
"Waugh, Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Waugh, Jonathan
Date:
Sat, 18 Feb 2017 15:40:23 +0000
As a father of two daughters and a son with autism (all in their teens), the scenario described by Laura got me thinking how I would have wanted the situation handled depending on whether one of my daughters had been in the female student's position or if my son had been in the male student's position.

As any lawyer would preface, it all depends...

I know firsthand how individuals with autism try to fit in with the social norms that are difficult for them to understand and that have cues that are hard for them to perceive.  I also know there are some with autism who simply have poor/inappropriate behavior.  It has been my experience that the inappropriate behavior associated with autism is typically not of a lewd nature but mostly talking too loud, throwing a fit when you don't get your way, ignoring others, or other forms of self-absorption.  There is much more that could be said but the bottom line for me is that actions have consequences and while I would like to see folks with autism be shown a little grace, they are not exceptions.

I would naturally be concerned for my daughters being treated appropriately in a situation such as what Laura described but I would also tell them of the inappropriateness of putting the group's marker between one's legs--that is simply unhygienic and contributed to setting up the confrontation.

Given the very limited information about this situation, I think it would be okay for either the male or female student to be moved to another group per the instructor's thoughtful consideration.

Jonathan