From:
Jen Wernegreen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jen Wernegreen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2013 17:17:04 -0700
hello,

what's the best practice in the following scenario:

A team answers a question "incorrectly" on a quiz (let's say, they chose D,
where I considered the best answer to be A).  The team submits an appeal,
justifying why D is a better choice than A.

Let's say I approve this appeal.

The team quiz score, for that particular team that appealed the question, will
be increased by one point.

What about the individual quiz scores, for members of the team that
appealed?  On the one hand, I understand that appeals are intended to be
team-based activities, so maybe individual quiz scores shouldn't be affected.
On the other hand, it seems to send a strange message to students, to
approve "D" as an equally good answer, yet not reward individuals who chose
"D" on their individual quiz.  It was probably those individuals who motivated
(and wrote?) the team appeal in the first place.   For individuals in the
appealing team, should both A and D get equal (full) credit on the individual
quiz?

What if the appeal said that "D is a better choice than A."  That's actually the
case here.  4/6 individuals chose A, the team chose D on the team quiz, and
the appeal states that D is the superior choice, over A.  Should both A and D
receive credit on the individual quizzes?  I find it odd that team members who
originally chose A would sign off on an appeal where D is promoted as the
better choice.

Advice?

I do understand that accepting "D" as a correct answer should be "fire-walled"
to the team that appealed, and won't extend outside of that team.

any insights would be much appreciated,
Jen