From:
SJ Tweddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
SJ Tweddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2014 22:39:08 +0000
Greetings from Fort Worth

I completely agree with Chris. We have 30-40 faculty using TBL across
most of our courses in our integrated pharmacy curriculum. At this
level we have found that there needs to be sufficient oversight to
ensure consistency and adherence to 4S and the curricula objectives.

To try and help faculty to do this we devised a document '10-tips for
constructing high quality TBL modules' that we use as pre-reading for
a faculty development workshop.

Tip 10 is as follows.

"Tip 10:  Have your TBL module reviewed by a team

Team Approach
A team approach to the review of each TBL module is advisable. Members
of the team should include:

1. Subject matter experts from the perspective of theoretical
knowledge (declarative knowledge) and the application of knowledge
(functioning knowledge);

2. Educationalist(s) with experience of the curriculum and the design
and development of: self-instructional materials; Selected-response
type items;
Application exercises that promote deep thinking and engaged
content-focused discussion.

When reviewing each module it is important to ensure that there is
clear alignment between each component; for this reason it is
essential that all components are available at the time of the review"

It's not always been possible to review every module with such rigour
but faculty that have been through the review process find it
constructive and extremely beneficial to their development as TBL
practitioners.

If anyone wishes to see all 10 tips, drop me an email

Best wishes

Simon

Simon Tweddell
Director of Learning and Teaching