From:
Wayne McCormack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne McCormack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 07:37:39 -0800
I have developed a set of TBL modules to teach "Responsible Conduct of
Research" (RCR).  Modules include the following nine topics:  Research
Misconduct, Protection of Human Subjects, Welfare of Laboratory Animals,
Conflicts of Interest, Data Management Practices, Mentor & Trainee
Responsibilities, Collaborative Research, Authorship & Publication, and Peer
Review.  A paper describing preliminary studies of effectiveness using a test of
ethical decision-making as the measure is in press:  McCormack WT, Garvan
CW. 2014. Team-Based Learning Instruction for Responsible Conduct of
Research Positively Impacts Ethical Decision-Making. Accountability in
Research 21(1):34-49. doi: 10.1080/08989621.2013.822267.  I'll have a poster
at the March 2014 TBLC meeting with the results of that study.  We just
started a research project funded by the DHHS Office of Research Integrity to
improve the RCR TBL curriculum and maximize positive impact on ethical
decision-making.  If anyone is interested in serving as an additional test site
for a revised RCR TBL curriculum during the 2014-2015 academic year, please
let me know.  Thanks.
Wayne McCormack
University of Florida