From:
Richard Hake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 14:28:56 -0800
Some subscribers to TeamLearning might be interested in a recent post
"Re: Castles in the Sky #2,"  [Hake (2009)].  The abstract reads:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ABSTRACT: H.G. Callaway, in his Dewey-L post "Castles in the Sky"
referred to an article reporting that Alan Greenspan had defended his
record as Fed Chairman and stated that "speculative excess" is
inevitable in long periods of prosperity.  Callaway then suggested
that "the answer to excessive speculation is empiricism and the
introduction of a more scientific attitude. Surely, the attitude of
the scientific thinker, the orientation to facts, experiment and
attempts at falsification is important in our attempts to control the
excesses of philosophical speculation and the related tendency
toward, let us say, 'castles in the sky'." But philosophers are not
the only ones who build "castles in the sky." The sky castle building
of traditional economists such as Alan Greenspan and Lawrence
Summers, who seem to regard the economic system as divorced from the
ecosystem, has been roundly criticized by ecological economists such
as Herman Daly.  Mihai Sarbu, in response to Callaway, opined that "
'castles in the sky' could be a timely conversation topic, given the
seriousness of the current environmental challenges and the upcoming
meeting in Copenhagen:  how can John Dewey's theory of inquiry be
applied to educating for ecological responsibility?" I think
education in Dewey's inquiry mode plus e.g., Daly & Townsend's
"Valuing The Earth: Economics, Ecology, Ethics," and Tim Jackson's
"Prosperity without Growth: Economics for a Finite Planet" might help.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

What's all this got to do with Team-Based Learning?

A. In my opinion, team-based learning might be relatively effective
in awakening the boatload to oblivion (see the signature quote).

To access the complete 19 kB post please click on
<http://tinyurl.com/yjtasfm>.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>