From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:47:41 -0500
Great question!  I am currently revising a paper addressing this issue
empirically, albeit a relatively small sample size.  I also could find
very little in the literature.

I compared TBL in the same class of 24-31 students over three semesters in
three different classrooms.  One had large tables, one old-fashioned but
movable desks, and one had office type chairs with wheels as well as small
tables on wheels that could be combined into an infinite number of
configurations.

I surveyed the students about their attitudes toward TBL and also about
their feelings about what aspects of the classroom space enhanced or
detracted from the effectiveness of TBL.  I also compared individual and
group grades and peer evaluations.  Interestingly, individual grades did
not appear to be effected by the different spaces.  However, the students
were most satisfied/felt most effective in the most flexible space with
the movable tables and chairs.  The next best, from the perspective of
student satisfaction, was the classroom with desks that could be easily
moved in a reasonably small circle.  Peer evaluations also showed less
variance, the more flexible the space was, perhaps suggesting everyone
gets more involved and participate more fully when it is easier for all to
be involved physically.

I look forward to hear what others have to say on this topic.

Molly Espey
Applied Economics and Statistics
Clemson University