From:
Judy Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judy Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:58:48 -0700
I followed the posts on grading application exercises with avid interest, as
I am attempting to gorge myself on every bit of information and tips on TBL
that I can.  Over this past winter term I team-taught an interprofessional
communications course – a unique initiative in which an interprofessional
educator team representing a university (me) and a community college (one
educator from Nuclear Medicine and one educator from Respiratory Therapy)
planned, facilitated and assessed the interprofessional learning experience.
Part of the uniqueness was that none of us had ever team-taught before. The
major factor by far was that we set about challenging a traditional
teaching/learning paradigm, by adopting the principles and practices of
Team-Based Learning – we never looked back!
The course focussed on four domains that are central to interprofessional
patient-centred collaborative practice, i.e. interprofessional
communication, team functioning, interprofessional conflict and
self-awareness and reflective practices. We chose to add a fifth domain,
information literacy, as we included Wiki technology for the team based
capstone project (the application component). We used rubrics for the peer
and team feedback components as well as for the major application project.
Here is how our assessment component was broken down- the individual
assessment points allocated were 59 and the team assessment points allocated
were 41:

Assessment 1: Readiness Assurance Process
(a) individual tests - 7 in total, (b) team tests – 7 in total
38.5% (2.5% each for individual tests; (3% each for team tests

Assessment 2: Peer and Team Feedback (formative and summative) – Individual
Grades
11.5% (5% for formative; 6.5% for summative

Assessment 3: Case Study Caper (a.k.a. interprofessional collaboration for
patient-centered care)
50% (individual 30%; team 20%)

We learned many lessons from our first foray into TBL, are eager to see the
next iteration of the course. As an educator of fairly long standing it was
the most learner-centred/learning-centred classroom environment (including
the wiki environment) that I have had the privilege of being a part of.

Judy Buchanan

Coordinator, Teaching & Learning Centre
University of New Brunswick Saint John
e-mail: [log in to unmask]