From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2016 15:47:21 -0400
Wayne -

I don't grade them either and let me offer three more reasons:

  1. If you do grade them, students will have a significant incentive to
     share with later students. Good AEs are hard to write, so you'll be
     making a lot more work for yourself.

  2. As I understand the cognitive science literature, people learn more
     when driven by intrinsic motivations (things they find interesting)
     than extrinsic ones (money, grades).

  3. I certainly get engaged discussion and participation without grading
     them.

        - Bill

> I'll echo Jim's comments about not grading applications.  I do not grade applications, because there is almost always more than one reasonable answer.  There might be a best answer, but if it is a really complex issue or the best answer is conditional or controversial, students may get frustrated with grading.  You don't want them to think the questions were designed to trick them.  I would rather have rich discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of different answer choices and try to facilitate the teams reaching a consensus about (for example) why A is usually the best answer, but under certain conditions B is the best answer.  That lets you explore real life situations in any discipline, and perhaps especially in medicine.  Students will be uncomfortable with such uncertainties, and probably won't like it at first when you tell them that is real life (patients don't come with an answer key, a doc has to figure it out and there might be more than one plausible answer to every question, e.g., differential diagnosis, treatment plan).  Most people I've talked to about this include other measures of individual learning, such as exams, to ensure that learning objectives are being met.  So go for "messy questions" as Jim calls them, because they generate the rich discussion you want your students to have.
>

> Best regards,
>
> Wayne
>

> Wayne T. McCormack, Ph.D.
> Distinguished Teaching Scholar & Professor
> University of Florida College of Medicine
> E-mail    [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> Web      http://mccormacklab.pathology.ufl.edu/
>

> From: Team-Based Learning <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Jacqueline Vos <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 2:57 AM
> To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
> Subject: Assesment of applications
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> In Amsterdam (the Netherlands) we are developing a whole new bachelor curriculum in Medicine, which will start at September 2016. We are going to use TBL as one of the teaching/learning methods.
>
> The grading system of a TBL module will consist of:
> - iRAT score
> - tRAT score
> - score of an application
> - score of peerevaluation
>
> Now I'm coming to my question:
>
> How do you assess the application exercises? Can you please help us to figure out the best way to do that?
>
> Kind regards,
> Jacqueline Vos
>

> Jacqueline Vos
> Educationalist
>
> Center for Evidence-Based Education (CEBE)
> Academic Medical Center (AMC)
> University of Amsterdam
>
> Email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Bill Goffe
Senior Lecturer
Department of Economics
Penn State University