From:
Robert Brekken <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Brekken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:37:07 -0500
Greetings!

I have been using out of class iRATS online the past couple of years as well, and feel that they are working well. I limit the time period, and randomize the questions in order to keep the students honest. They do not see results of their iRATS until after the tRATS are completed in class. With the time limit I try to make sure they do not have time to look up the answers (but a good student may have time to check an answer or two). I do give the students more questions in the iRAT (20) than I do for the tRAT (10).  I find that the results of the iRATS are usually in line with grades on other assignments and exams.

Bob

Bob Brekken

Department of History
Central Lakes College
501 West College Drive
Brainerd, MN 56401
218-855-8190

>>> Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]> 8/30/2012 8:27 PM >>>
Hello All,

Gail's experience is exactly the opposite of most of those who have tried
out-of-class iRATs. I called her right after I saw her post and we're
working on a joint post in which we will try to sort out why they have
worked for her but, not others. Stay tuned. I have the feeling that we will
all learn something from the discussion as it proceeds.

Larry

--
Larry K. Michaelsen, Professor of Management