From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:01:01 -0500
Hi All,

I’d like to add one more suggestion for increasing students’
willingness to accept the idea that there isn’t always one correct
answer. I have a couple of different 4-S applications that involve
questions that in which I think two different answers could be correct
but, the EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT ONE ANSWER IS VERY DIFFERENT THAN THE
EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THE OTHER. I ask students to make two choices*1)
what they think is best and 2) what they think is SECOND BEST and why
they decided AGAINST this one as being their first choice. This always
produces conflicting choices. In addition, however, it does a terrific
job of emphasizing the importance of being careful about recognizing and
linking the evidence to the choices.

I’ll always give full credit for either answer*BUT ONLY IF THEIR
CHOICE IS SUPPORTED BY THEIR EVIDENCE. In my wrap-up, I conclude by
saying something like, “Life is just that way*sometimes you the
answer is NOT clear. However, as long as you recognize that there IS
conflicting evidence (and know what it is), you are more than half way
home because you are in a position to learn from your choices*correct
AND incorrect." Then, engage them in a discussion of how being aware
that their choice might be wrong would help them in this specific case.

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Susan Hazel <[log in to unmask]> 09/25/11 5:11 PM >>>
Hi All,

I've been particularly interested in this conversation as I have been
using
TBL in topics where there often is not a clear answer (animal welfare
and
animal ethics). I don't have to look for an ethical dilemma- this is
what
I'm teaching! I trialled TBL last year for only 2 sessions and have
expanded
to 6/12 sessions for the semester this year. I've just evaluated it,
and 91%
of students (course of ~130) broadly agreed that they felt actively
involved
in the TBL. Two-thirds of them broadly agreed that it helped them with
their
learning, and I got some fantastic comments that I'll use next year.
The one
thing that they do complain though about is not having a clear answer
all of
the time. I have tried to make it more explicit this year that there
are
shades of grey sometimes and no 'right' answer- does anybody teach in
similar area with TBL and have any other suggestions? These students
are 1st
year uni and many are only 17-18. Incidentally, a side benefit of using
TBL
in this relatively large 1st year class is that a no of students
commented
it helped them to make friends and meet other students in the course.

Susan

Susan Hazel BVSc BSc(Vet) PhD GradCert (Public Health) MACVSc

Lecturer in Animal Behaviour, Welfare and Ethics

School of Animal & Veterinary Sciences

THE UNIVERSITY OF ADELAIDE

Roseworthy SA 5371 Australia

Ph    : +61 8 8303 7828

Fax   : +61 8 8303 7972

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete
all
copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003,
this
email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

Think green: read on the screen.