From:
"Levine, Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levine, Ruth
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:38:35 -0500
I actually put together teams with a pretty large class (66) in a lecture hall using a pretty unwieldy method (where they were born). It was chaotic but the students had a blast doing it and in the end we had good teams with good heterogeneity. I think transparency is fairly important and getting a little messy can be fun. You can go up and down the aisles of the lecture hall if you need to.

The trouble with using methods like previous grades is that if the students find out you did that they will always wonder (or worse--find out!!) who the "smart one" and who the "dumb one" in the team is and that can be counterproductive to team cohesion in the long run. They might not trust a teammate (for stupid reasons like race, gender, or ethnicity--assuming a correlation between one of those qualities and "smartness"--"oh-that is the "dumb one") If they don't find out how you put them together they will always wonder what method you used.

Even if you don't line them up--let them see and know (like the cart sorting method) that you are using a system that is relatively random or based on qualities that determine success (like previous experience in the subject). But I would hesitate to put them in based on things like test scores or course scores because people will always wonder who the group "low scorers" are. If your groups are large enough (5-7) then every group will have enough talent to succeed and in general no group should have a substantial advantage over another.

That is just my opinion, for what its worth....
Ruth

Ruth E. Levine MD

Clarence Ross Miller Professor of Psychiatry
The University of Texas Medical Branch
301 University Blvd, Route 0193
Galveston, Texas 77555-0193
409-747-9675 (Phone) 409-747-9677 (Fax)