From:
Molly Espey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:55:18 -0400
I use the peer evaluations to weight the group portion of the grade.
Then, I don't have to set some base for what "average" means - average
means the group's score on activites and RATs throughout the semester.
This then rewards groups that work better together and produce better work
more than groups that don't do as good work.

Some groups do quite well with nearly equal contributions from all
members.  Then they are all equally rewarded by doing well as a group, as
I find that groups that really work well together end up with everyone
averaging very close to 10.

I also do the peer evaluations at least once in the middle of the
semester, as well as at the end, but the midsemester evaluation doesn't
count toward the final grade.  It does, however, allow me to give feedback
to students.  I remind them that mathematically there are two ways to
improve the group portion of their grade (which again is weighted for
individuals by the peer evaluations, with some subjective consideration on
my part):  increase the group's scores or increase their own peer
evaluations scores.  Usually, efforts to improve one's own peer evaluation
score will also increase the group's grades.

I've only had one student complain to me directly, upset that the group
activities were bringing her grade down.  She was wrong, however,
mathematically.

Molly Espey
Applied Economics and Statistics
Clemson University