From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2010 05:14:18 -0500
Nancy,

Even though it is only one group the situation is unusual enough that I suspect that you have a basic set-up problem.  I have some questions that might give some clues about what's wrong:
- how many RATs have you given?
- are you using the IF-ATs?
- how well do your applications conform to the 4 S's?
- what method(s) are you using for simultaneous reports.
- how much do the various TBL components (individual, team, peer evals, applications) "count" in determining students' grades.
- what criteria did you use to form the teams?

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> Nancy Sohler <[log in to unmask]> 10/31/10 6:19 PM >>>
I have a class of 66 undergraduate medical students (11 groups). I am
leading an epidemiology course and this is my first shot at TBL.

This is mid-way through the semester and one of my groups is having
difficulty. Their group learning behaviors have deteriorated over
time-the group has divided into two smaller groups that cannot get along
with each other.  They come into my office separately to complain (I now
do not allow that), meet with each other to study outside of class
separately, and don't work together in class (at the last second they
vote on which answer will be used-but they don't discuss the issues
together at all anymore).

I have met with them as a group twice to address this obvious problem
(that they all agree that this is a huge problem for them). I have had
them discuss openly the nature of the problem and what they might do to
overcome it, and helped them to brainstorm the specific strategies that
they can use to learn in groups. Every intervention seems to lead to
further deterioration of their group.

I have been told NOT to intervene too much, as this is something they
need to work out on their own.  I am, however, worried that they cannot
work it out.  Suggestions?