From:
"Smith, David W" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Smith, David W
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 09:54:31 -0600
An original element of this discussion was student concerns about being
taught in fundamentally different ways from other students.  Whenever we
launch on a dramatically new approach (to them) there are fears and
concerns that may be legitimate.

As an example, when Duke University had partially converted its Calculus
classes to make heavy use of computing and symbol manipulation software
(such as Mathematica) with significant amounts of lab time, there were
widespread complaints from students taught using the new technology.
They believed that they would be at a disadvantage in taking traditional
paper/pencil exams to students taught in traditional ways, who did not
have to waste time with the computers.  (The intellectual excitement of
the new and adventurous had little appeal, apparently.)  The solution
was, and had to be, to make the conversion of all the classes as quickly
as possible, since the adoption of this technology for everyone was
inevitable.  Engineering schools, the future of many Calculus students,
have adopted this technology for most advanced classes and wanted it
introduced to incoming students rather than waiting two years.

There is a different challenge for those of us who are acting
individually, not institutionally.  Part of the solution is to be open
and honest with students at the beginning.  To my mind this includes
starting off with a bang, clearly demonstrating what is ahead on the
first day.  We must stick to any implied agreements about amount of
material or course organization.  We should, whenever possible, offer
students a traditional instructional alternative.  We should be clear
and open about our expertise and experience that has led us the
expectations that we have for intellectual accomplishment and
independent, individual learning and problem solving.

At the end of the day, everyone learns for and by him/herself.  (With a
little help from our friends, of course.)  Fear of learning to be an
independent scholar may be real but it is not something we want to
support and encourage.  I want to foster the development of independent
scholarship.  I have to ask students to do this from the beginning of my
class.  I don't always know how to balance this against the complaint
that "I had to learn everything myself" but I try. Students have to
learn how to learn themselves, seeking help reasonably.  Moving from
dependence to independence is not something that everyone desires.  It
is often uncomfortable.  It is necessary.

Regards,

David Smith

David W. Smith, Ph.D., M.P.H., CStat
Associate Professor, Biostatistics
Fellow, Institute for Health Policy
The University of Texas School of Public Health
San Antonio Branch Campus
voice: (210) 562-5512
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  or [log in to unmask]