From:
"Faux, Cynthia" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Faux, Cynthia
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:50:54 +0000
Heaven knows I am not a TBL expert and I apologize if this has been discussed and I have missed it. I am trying to learn as much as I can as I launch my first wholly TBL course this spring.  Science is a much more comfortable setting for folks who find social interactions difficult or even impossible. I, too, can make the argument of "well, once you are in practice" but that's not quite true. We have many veterinary graduates who use their degrees in creative and non-social career paths. I would be interested in solutions for those occasional students who are potentially incapable of this type of social interaction (potential Asperger's or extreme introverted) and who lack the ability to 'fake it' to get through the class. Neuro-typical and extroverted folks tend to have no idea how difficult it can be to gut your way through forced social interactions, especially if the class holds no particular interest other than as a required step in the path to the degree. Although TBL seems to be a great idea for the majority of students, there are those few who just can't suck it up enough to get through unscathed. I would be interested in any information/suggestions available to help these students.
Cynthia

Cynthia Faux, DVM, PhD
Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine
Department of Integrated Physiology and Neurosciences
Pullman, Washington, USA