From:
Christine Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:40:22 -0600
I currently use TBL in my 7-12th grade band classes.  I've been using
TBL and a variation of TBL since the beginning of this school year.  I
had a great experience with TBL in a college course and ever since then
have been trying to find a way to incorporate TBL into my teaching.
There have been some really great things happening as a result of this
method of learning; however, it just doesn't work as well with younger
kids all of the time.  I think this is due to the fact they worry so
much about what their peers think about them and really can't get past
that enough to have a good experience with a team.  I think it all boils
down to them not trusting each other completely. Kids are so mean to
each other--even mean to their "friends."

Overall, a variation of TBL has worked well for me. There are some
aspects of this that are great for younger kids.  Oddly enough, the
whole "peer issue" also works well at times because they don't want to
look dumb or let their friends/team down.

In addition, they really seem to get into TBL projects that involve them
making decisions for themselves and that let them go in a direction they
choose.  I think this is probably due to the fact they sit in a chair
for 7 hours a day where people talk at them and have little interaction
with their learning. Not all classes where I teach are this way, but
sadly, many are.

I think that TBL definately has potential in a K-12 setting, but it
would take a ton of time to work around some of the problems and then of
course there is the issue of TIME...everything takes SOOOOOOOOOO long
with them, especially at first.

Finally, with all of the outside expectations of test scores, concerts,
etc, it's hard to justify "giving up" so much class time to devote to
this one method of learning.

Good luck!

Chris Porter
Director of Bands
Brooklyn Center High School
763-561-2120 x2602
>>> Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]> 01/18/05 6:59 PM >>>
Hey Everyone,

A colleague of mine is interested in any uses of (and lessons learned
from) Team-Based Learning in K-12.

Does anyone out there have any experience along these lines?  I have
only used it at the college level.

Thanks!

-Michael Sweet

Educational Psychology