From:
Josie Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Josie Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2014 13:57:05 +0000
That sounds so familiar from my pre-TBL days teaching on the MPharm when I had students create a wiki summary of research on a key question - done in groups, out of class, with the freeloading, intragroup traumas etc you're experiencing!

I'm not sure if there's any way to improve out of class assignments- students will always divide to conquer & all the group work problems you've described so well arise.

Anything you can do to get the students to work in class, with 4S activities will fix it. I guess that might need some thinking time though.

I wonder if you can find easier ways to make the activity move towards 4S principles, for the short term?

Could you set several specific example businesses (for the out of class preparation where students pull together your key concepts)?

Then, treat each business as a small application exercise, and get all teams to state the key principle (from a list based on your teaching) that they believe that business embodies best? Then have them argue out their rationale team to team?

I could imagine a final activity where you make the list of options the businesses discussed in previous exercises, and ask each team to pick which business they believe will be most successful in a particular setting (I'm way outside my knowledge base here!!) - so they have to apply / reason / evaluate which principles are most important in a specific scenario.

As I usually do drug-based teaching, I may be way off base here; hoping the thoughts might help spark your own ideas though!

Josie

Dr Josie A Fraser