From:
"Levine, Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Levine, Ruth
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 12:19:44 -0600
Well, we had the mother of all campus closers--Hurricane Ike, which shut us down for months.
We did the following-
Since we are a medical school, we had to ship our students off to 6 other campuses for a continuations of clinical training.
We developed on line training modules which were a substitute for exposure to the same objectives, but did not have TBL like properties. We still use these to reinforce learning, and to some degree to serve as "preparation" for the TBL.
We sent about half our students to one other campus, trained the faculty at that campus how to use TBL, gave them our modules, and basically "transferred" our curriculum 200 miles away. That worked for a while, but they weren't as comfortable using it as we were, and gave it up after several months. It was ok, since most of our students are back home now.
For most of the other students at campuses in which TBL was not possible, I developed a review using our RATS, and I gave it to them in person in one sitting (to keep the items secure). Unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to use our applications.

We have been encouraged to use teleconferencing, but have not had the best of experience with that when we have tried. Many technological glitches.

I think any information that can be delivered  as a lecture can be delivered as an interactive web-module. Its nice to have a library of web modules that can be used as preparation and can be a minimum requirement in the event that the school shuts down.

Ruth Levine
UTMB-Galveston.