From:
Brent Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2011 09:32:34 -0800
Hello Nancy.

Good questions.

I am relatively new to the TBL model, but have  been using the
University of Phoenix Learning Team Model for 12 years. The key
difference between the two is that the Phoenix Learning Team Model is
based on a work team model, in which groups of adult learner develop a
charter, collaborate to learn and complete projects, and complete
learning team evaluations. The faculty role in this process is facilitator
and coach. Another big difference is that the learning team model is a
foundation of the University model. A key benefit of a University-level
teaming process is that the students have a level of consistency from
one course to the next. This allows them to continuously improve based
on prior experiences, and to develop collaboration as a core competency.

USE A DIFFERENT FORMING METHOD

Although team learning is a foundation of the University model, faculty
tend to develop their own methods for forming and managing teams. I
even find myself experimenting with different techniques in different
classes. I think this might also the case with TBL practitioners.

Rather than having only one approach by which you form teams,
consider building a toolkit of approaches; apply the approach that aligns
with your group of students. During your orientation workshop you can
ask students to share with you their prior experiences with TBL. Then,
apply an approach that seems appropriate for the situation.

USE A CHARTERING PROCESS

Regarding voting on grading, I think the approach you are using is a
good way of giving the students ownership in the process. However, you
might find other ways to integrate democractic practices in the course
without having students vote on course structure. For example, you
define the structure and the grading process, and have the teams
develop a charter for governing team processes within that structure.

COMMUNICATE RELEVANCE OF LEARNING, IRRELEVANCE OF GRADES

Regarding students focusing on "A's" and not on learning, have you
considered conducting an intervention early in the course that helps
students to understand that they should be focusing on what the A
represents, not on the A? For example, ask students if the they have
ever been asked during a job interview what their GPA was or what their
grade was in a particularl course. Then ask them if they have ever been
asked about their knowledge and ability related to the job. Which
student is more likely to get the job, the student who says "I got a A in
that class" but can neither demonstrate nor apply knowledge, or the
student who is able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and explain how
that knowledge applies to the situation?

They key here is to help the students connect the classroom activities
to the real world. The message becomes this: focus on what the A is
supposed to represent, and you will develop knowledge and skills that
will make you more successful in the workplace. If the A stands for the
learning and skills you can apply in the workplace and in life, then your
degree will have immense value. Students who focus only on acheiving
the A without supporting it with learning and skills will receive a
worthless piece of paper at graduation.

Regards,

Brent