From:
Sonia Cotto-Moreno <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sonia Cotto-Moreno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:04:24 +0000
Hi Katie:
I just started with TBL and "saw this behavior" beginning to brew, however my background in MPH Leadership has helped me tremendously .
I've just started teaching after an estimated 18 years supervising and working with peers demonstrating this behavior.
I address it by focusing on "communication styles" vs. behavior/attitude which from my experience creates more inappropriate behavior.
Bringing awareness to the different modes of communication and emphasizing how to improve the vocabulary they use, the tone, the content and its impact on the receiver may help the students.
Some students may not have the skills or positive experiences dealing with control, anger and expressing themselves appropriately---again this shifts from "you don't know how to get along with people" to "here are some new skills you can use to communicate." Role playing how "high performance teams" vs. "low performance teams" communicate and function may also help.

I also agree with other responses to your question, this is a teachable moment and should not be avoided or teams re-assigned.

--Good Luck.
Sonia