From:
"York, Dianne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
York, Dianne
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 09:13:12 -0400
Michael,

I have 4 sections of 50 students or about 200 students per semester. They are mostly freshmen and sophomores. All are fulfilling a general education requirement in science. Many are very underprepared. For a multitude of reasons. I’m sure you are not surprised.

Regarding the unit tests, I’m struggling – immensely – with the thought of forgoing them and using a mid-term and final exam only. Going with my gut, if I am this apprehensive about it, I probably should not do it. Unit tests allow my students to focus on smaller chunks of material at a time. Currently I give 5 unit tests. The final exam is the last unit test; it’s not comprehensive.

I presume that those using a mid-term and final count those exams for at least 50% of the course grade. That is what I do now. My unit tests constitute a little more than 50% of the course grade. Unit tests should be easier for my students because the material is broken down into smaller chunks.

I also have a workable system in place for dealing with missed tests. For example, I drop the lowest score. Some students don’t even take the final. Handling make-ups or rescheduling issues could be more problematic because students can’t miss the mid-term or the final.

And yet, much class time is wasted on days I give a unit test. I plan no other activities that day. Most students finish the unit test within 40 min. So that is around 160 min of class time wasted: 80 min class minus 40 min for test x 4 unit tests. If I gave a mid-term, I’d use one class period instead of 4, a gain of 240 min. Final exams are on a separate schedule, so I’m not including them.

I apologize for going on and on here, but these are some of the thoughts whirling around in my head!

Dianne York
Lecturer, Biology
Lincoln University, PA