From:
"Davidson, Lindsay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Davidson, Lindsay
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2010 05:55:52 -0400
Gotta give you another perspective. In my first few years of TBL I tried to grade the application exercises but it was a huge effort for me to do (class size 100; condensed course so I was delivering all of it over 4 weeks and would have been the only one grading) and just led to more reasons to argue with students about grades. I find that attendance is high and students are engaged by the case-based material that forms the application exercises. I also explicitly link my mid and end of rotation assessment to the application exercises (did this when the course got spread out over about 14 weeks so could have midterm) - so you are much more likely to be successful in the short answer portions if you have worked through the TBL. Demonstrating this with a mid-term is very, very helpful.
It makes the point with only one or two questions to grade.

Lindsay

Lindsay Davidson M.D., M.Sc., M.Ed., FRCSC
Associate Professor, Pediatric Orthopaedics
Chair of Teaching and Learning
School of Medicine Clerkship Director Undergraduate MSK Course Chair
Queen's University, Kingston, Ont
(613)544-9626; Fax (866)-545-1519

http://www.adventuresinteaching.ca
http://www.learningwithcases.com