From:
Jennifer Imazeki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Imazeki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2010 14:15:31 -0700
Hi all,

I've been pondering how to have groups simultaneously report responses
to open-ended application questions. My class will be 75 students (13
groups) and the classroom is much longer than it is wide. I was
considering having students use whiteboards but depending on how the
teams move their desks around, I'm not sure how easy it will be for
everyone to see everyone else's answer. I am hoping there will be at
least one laptop in each group but wifi in the building is sometimes
iffy (gotta love old state schools). It just dawned on me that if I
use Twitter or some other service that allows students to text to a
website, I could show their responses with the computer projector (and
the 160 character limit might actually be a good thing for keeping
students, and myself, focused on a specific choices). Has anyone had
students text their group responses in? Any suggestions on sites that
would allow this, other than Twitter? I've always been a bit hesitant
to do this in the past because I didn't want to require students be
able to text (or have to pay for it) but these days, I can't imagine
there won't be at least one person in each group who has unlimited
texting on their phone. Thoughts?

thanks!
Jennifer
Jennifer Imazeki