From:
Brian O'Dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian O'Dwyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:49:08 +0000
Judy,

This is a really good question and one that was posed to me be a faculty member trying to promote TBL at her institution.  I agree with the others and would also add:

1. The University of South Alabama example Julie referred to is impressive – in three years they have done 18,000 student encounters with TBL, trained >250 faculty, completed 750 TBL sections (face-to-face and online) and cut the withdrawal rate in half.

2. My three key TBL selling points are:  Employability, Evidence and Efficiency.  I would position this as TBL supporting key stakeholders such as Students (Employability), Faculty (Evidence) and Administrators (Efficiency) like this:

• TBL can develop six of the ten future career skills identified by the World Economic Forum (employability)

• TBL has been practiced for decades and there is evidence to support TBL in hundreds of academic journal articles (evidence)

• TBL can be resource efficient.  For example, Duke-NUS has achieved similar results on medical exams with less than half the classroom time (efficiency)

3. Resources:  I summarized my response to the above referenced faculty member on how to promote TBL in a blog post (can be accessed at https://intedashboard.org/2016/09/19/why-tbl/ ).  I am also preparing a talk at an upcoming EdTech conference called the “Death of the Lecture” which will make a similar argument in presentation format (which I can share when it is completed) along these lines:

• More and more educators are facing several trends:  the shift away from traditional lecture learning towards active and blended learning, the use of technology in the classroom and changing workforce needs dictating that students need to be prepared for future careers differently than in the past

• However, there are so many different approaches and technologies (over 100,000 education apps in the app store alone) that it is hard for educators to practically decide which approach to implement and how to do it

• TBL is an evidence-based, efficient teaching approach that can develop employable skills which can be supported by numerous resources and clear direction on how to implement it in a classroom.

Thanks for raising this question.  It is an important one.  Happy to help with anyone interested in working on this topic to make standard materials around promoting TBL.

Kind regards,

Brian

Brian O’Dwyer

Commercial Founder and Executive Chairman

InteDashboardTM

New online platform exclusively for TBL

www.intedashboard.com

COGNALEARN PTE. LTD.

c/o Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Singapore

8 College Road, #6-40 Singapore 169857

+65 9777 3210

mailto:[log in to unmask]

www.cognalearn.com