From:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Michaelsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 01:39:13 -0500
Mark,

There's a lot of evidence that whatever you keep track of is likely to get paid attention to (i.e., become a group norm).  I have students keep track of scores and attendance because I want the groups to have norms that promote being in class and being prepared.  As for the privacy issue.  I tell students that I'll be keeping track of stuff by using the last 4 digits of their student ID but, if they want me to use something else, change the number to whatever they want and let me know.  About 1 in 200 wants me to use something different and I've never had a complaint.

Larry

-----
Larry K. Michaelsen
Professor of Management
University of Central Missouri
Dockery 400G
Warrensburg, MO 64093

660/429-9873 voice <---NEW ATT cell phone
660/543-8465 fax

>>> "Jackson, John Mark" <[log in to unmask]> 09/02/10 5:04 PM >>>
I have 120 optometry students in a first-year course. I have 20 groups of 6.

In “Team-Based Learning” on page 264, there is a sample Team Performance and Attendance Record for the team folders. Would anyone who uses these care to comment on how well they work and how/why you use them? I am concerned about student privacy, though it seems they are going to know how well they are each doing when they do the gRAT. And I’m not sure I see the point of listing how many absences there were when it doesn’t say who was absent.

Thoughts?

John Mark Jackson, OD, MS, FAAO
Southern College of Optometry
(901) 722-3314