From:
"Sweet, Michael S" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sweet, Michael S
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:56:54 -0500
It's true that writing is an inherently individual act and a great deal of the work/assessment in a comp. class is inescapably individual and should be.

That said, there are fundamentals in any discipline which students must be able to identify and discuss in the language of the field.  Basic concepts, discriminations, vocubulary and even trouble-shooting skills.  These are things that students can help each other learn in a team-based way.

For a writing class, here are a couple questions/question formats that popped into my head:

1)  Which of the following is the best example of an enthymeme?  Why?

2)  What is the *worst* problem with this paragraph?  Why?  (Of course "worst" would depend upon many different criteria--depending upon what you were studying)

3)  A student was asked the following question:  “List (in order) and briefly describe x, y, and z.”

   The student wrote:

   Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

   The student’s answer:

   a)  Lists all of the pieces in the correct order and with accurate descriptions.

   b)  Lists all of pieces but they are either out of order or some descriptions are inaccurate.

   c)  Does not include all of the pieces, or they are out of order, or some descriptions are inaccurate.

. . . that's all I got off the top of my head.  Anyone else?

-M