From:
"Sibley, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sibley, Jim
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 06:35:53 -0700
hi Bernie

the 26 class will be easy....probably 4 groups....easy logistic....good place to get your feet wet

we do TBL mostly in classes 120 with good effect....we have done it in larger classes but have to work really hard during the reporting in really big classes (200) to keep discussion energy up when only one person of 200 can be talking at any one time.....not impossible...just challenging

if I was confronted with doing TBL in a really large class I would do a couple of things

1) Get some TA help to help with test handling logistics and to help you with remember team responses to application exercises and help you interact uniformly across the big class.....in one class of 200 here....they had 2 instructors and 2 TAs and they facilitated division reporting (50 students).....then did a full class report between divisions.....they fostered the sense of division membership with bonus marks for divisions that leads RAP scores and team assignment scores

2) when you do the application exercises....have a written report form to capture the heart of the team decision.....you could alway take these away...ID themes and revisit perhaps at beginning of next class

I have heard of classes as big as 380.....but don't know how they handled application reporting

cheers

Jim Sibley
Centre for Instructional Support
Faculty of Applied Science