From:
Francine Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:00:54 -0500
Thank you to everyone who responded with advice and suggestions!  When
class started, I asked if they wanted to negotiate before or after the
RATs.  They unanimously wanted to take the RATs first, and when I posted
the i-RAT average score on the board followed by the t-RAT scores, they
all became more confident in their teams.

When they started to negotiate percentages, I insisted on a fourth 'new'
representative for each team.  They reached consensus at 30% individual,
50% team, and 20% team maintenance.  (Yes, I had given them ranges
within which to work.)  They ran out of time before they could agree on
breakdowns within the team and individual categories, and overwhelmingly
voted to proceed with class and revisit the negotiations in 2 weeks
rather than have me decide.

As Larry mentioned (below), the blockade was indeed a key person in team
5 who was trying to steamroll everyone in the class into his preferred
scheme.  But interestingly, he was the initial delegate for his team and
I think the reason why this process has taken so long - the trick in
this situation seems to have been getting another  member of his team in
the negotiating chair, who wasn't afraid to stand up to him and do
something *other* than what he was urging.

They are now working on their appeals over the weekend via WebCT, and
morale seems high based on their posts.

Thanks again to everyone!
Fran

--