From:
Sue Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:36:08 +1300
I teach a post-grad paper in Health, Education and Youth Development to
a relatively small class (16-30). I've used the following system for
marking the multi-choice readiness assurance tests (RATS) over the 2
years I have used TBL and it's worked very well for the most part:

- Students take the iRAT (Individual Readiness Assurance Test)
individually on photocopied sheets.
- When they have finished students then place their iRAT in the Team
Folder.
- As Teams they then complete the same test (tRAT) using the IF AT
(Immediate Feedback Assessment Technique) forms and received instant
feedback on whether or not they had the correct answer when they scratch
their agreed choice on the IF AT form.
- Once all the Teams have finished we then go through the RAT as a class
(I use overhead slides of the RAT) and we discuss the questions and any
queries.
- At this point students mark their iRAT themselves, using a different
coloured pen so that they can't change their answers on the iRAT paper.
They are seated in a group so they are under close scrutiny from their
colleagues and there is little opportunity for dishonesty.
- I collect both the iRATS and tRATS.

The advantages of this approach to marking are that students receive
immediate feedback on their individual and team efforts, identify their
own misunderstandings and shortfalls, and mostly improve their
performance over the semester.

Warm regards

Sue

Sue Grant