From:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:11:28 -0500
Hey Everyone,

I hope everyone is having a nice summer!

This summer I am helping out with an undergraduate educational psychology
class called Cognition, Human Learning and Motivation, using Team-Based
Learning.  As an exercise, we asked teams to "concept map" the relationships
between TBL and the learning concepts we have talked about in the course.
(Individuals were given a night to prepare their own concept maps, and then
teams created integrated concept maps in class.)

As so frequently happens with TBL, the students exceeded my expectations,
discussing which pieces should link to what, and making wonderful
connections among many course concepts.  After each team had made a map,
students "gallery walked" the other team's maps and made comments and asked
each other questions.

We were originally going to use butcher paper for this, but had to use the
chalkboard instead.  We are glad we did, because the teams came up with
enormous maps that would not have fit on butcher paper!  This exercise
absolutely made my day.

I have attached one of the better maps, so you can get a sense of the
connections undergraduates made between human learning concepts and TBL, if
you are interested.

Sorry for the large size--I wanted to make sure those who are interested
could read what the students wrote.

-M

Michael Sweet
~FAST Tex Assistant Program Manager
Division of Instructional Innovation and Assessment
Center for Instructional Technologies
The University of Texas at Austin
GSB 2.130   Mail Code: B8000
Austin, TX. 78712