From:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:34:23 -0600
Hey Jorden,

Dan Robinson and I have implemented TBL in an introductory Educational
Psychology course here at UT.  Of course the content is not the same as your
PSYC 100 class but it is similar enough that the issues you face may be
similar.

Application-oriented activities have been a tough nut for us to crack in
that course.  It is a survey course and it has been extremely difficult to
come up with activities that go beyond simply identifying concepts in
written scenarios.  Of course, videos would be great and we are on the hunt
for those, but finding ones that exemplify a concept "just so" has been
tough.

Arguably the best exercise we have come up with has been a concept-mapping
exercise, where students must create an individual concept map at home, then
come to class and integrate their concept map with those of their
team-members.  Teams draw their collective concept maps on large sheets of
paper which are hung on the wall and then "gallery walk" and comment upon
each other's work.  (This assignment has been done by others and is not an
original idea, but we have found it works for us.)  It stimulates a great
deal of thinking, arguing, and learning but--strictly speaking--it is still
not an *application* exercise because it is still at a relatively high level
of inference from the real setting in which the students will use the course
material.  Our students are mostly pre-service teachers and we just don't
have closets-full of schoolchildren we can trot out for our students to
"learn on."  Oh, that pesky IRB.  :-)

One thing you may be able to use is a source of materials that I use when
teaching group dynamics:  Hollywood movies.  For example, I used "Donnie
Brasco" to dig into cultural norms, power relations and coalitions.

You might be able to find good examples of the psychological constructs you
are after at the video rental store.  Not sure if it is within the scope of
PSYC 100, but there are some great movies out there revolving around mental
health:  Mr. Jones (bipolarism), Instinct (Learned Helplessness/Depression),
of course the Aviator (OCD), etc..

Hope some of this helps.

-M

Hope some of this