From:
Erica Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erica Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:44:00 -0700
I use the lowest dropped score model (it does take a lot of pressure off)
but my University has a policy that you must allow students with legit
reasons to make up missed work - that lowest dropped score policies are
unfair because they have less assessment opportunities. If the student is
like, okay, I'll drop that one, then its fine. But otherwise... oye! I've
had students who were really sick come to RATs to avoid missing them. It's
hard to know where the line should be and what is the most "fair" across the
board. Answers from others have me thinking about making some changes (esp.
if you are late and miss the iRAT, you have to take it on your own and then
you miss the gRAT). Maybe I need to crack some whips! Be less soft!

Maybe it is my school, but no shows are pretty common for me, despite
efforts to figure out tricks to get them to attend. I had two teams
yesterday (of 18) have only 1 person show up to class! In my other class, I
have a student who no showed 4 of 5 RATs this term - ?!?! - no clue what is
up there.

Erica