From:
Edward A Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward A Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:18:47 +0000
Tim:
We encountered the same problem with our TBL course (120 students).  We then instituted a policy that students must achieve 70% average on individual exams for the group work grades to factor into the final grade.  Now, if a student does not achieve a 70% average on exams, then the group scores do not factor in, and the course grade is based only on the individual exam scores.  I'm not sure what you can do about this for this semester, but it may be helpful to place a similar policy in your syllabus next time you teach this course.
Ed Bell

Edward Bell, PharmD, BCPS
Professor of Clinical Sciences
Drake University College of Pharmacy