From:
"Wager, Walt" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wager, Walt
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:52:11 -0400
An anecdote:  I was in Japan recently for a couple of weeks around the middle of April, and was invited to give an address on the legacy of Robert Gagne at Nippon Fukushi University.  While the English skills of the faculty were good, they were much better at reading Japanese than listening to me lecture in English, so I prepared my address as a reading, had it translated into Japanese, and constructed a TBL exercise with a RAT over the reading and a Critical thinking exercise for the for the groups.  I formed teams of convenience (people sitting close to each other). They were very surprised that I wasn't going to lecture, but they did the reading, took the RAT using IFAT cards, and did the critical thinking exercise - it was amazing how they all got involved, and I had a wonderful time answering questions at the end.  It was my impression that instructional design and faculty development is gaining momentum in Japan.  I was hosted by Kumamoto University which has one of the first on-line degree programs Instructional Design, graduating its first class in April 2008.  I love TBL as a strategy for involving the audience in learning.

Walt Wager
Interim Assistant Dean and Director,
School of Teacher Education
205c Stone Building, FSU