From:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Sweet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:41:00 -0500
Hope everyone is having a good summer!

As promised, here is my paper on "Stages, Traits, and Visions of Engagement:
The College Teacher's Emotional Experience of Switching to Team-Based
Learning."  I am very grateful to all those on this list who helped, and I
promised them I would share what I learned, so here it is.  Of course, all
names are pseudonymed.

The one surprising finding for me was the apparent importance of having an
overtly *experimental* mindframe--and the accompanying emotional
stance--while implementing TBL.  "Experiment" appeared in a few success
stories and even appeared in a success story of a teacher who then went on
to have a disastrous experience in a non "experimental" class.

This information will certainly help guide my practice as a faculty
developer.

The rest of the findings in here should not be surprising to those on this
list, comprised as it is of folks who have made the very switch this paper
is about.

CAVEAT:

Please remember this is a paper for a class, not a conference or journal
submission.  I was limited to 15 pages and only one supporting quote per
finding.  I broke both rules, but even so, it is far "skinnier" and
"squishier" than I would find satisfying if I were to read it in another
context.

I plan to continue this line of research and this paper may see the light of
day a year or more from now in a totally different form.  But I promised I
would share it with the list "as is" and so here it is.

-Michael

Michael Sweet
Division of Instructional Innovation and Assessment
The University of Texas at Austin
GSB 2.130   Mail Code: B8000
Austin, TX. 78712
http://www.utexas.edu/academic/diia/