From:
Jennifer Imazeki <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Imazeki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:09:19 -0700
I teach in a very different field (I use TBL in a data analysis
course) but have had the same issue. The first time I used TBL,
students really seemed to hate that there was not a 'right' answer,
even though I tried to be very clear with them about why there could
be multiple 'right' answers. I'm not sure if this will be helpful for
folks but the second time I taught the class, I started telling the
students that there may not always be a right answer but there IS a
right *process* that I expect them to follow (in the case with my data
class, that process is that they have to identify what assumptions
they are making and explain how the empirical results might change if
you change those assumptions) and their responses need to show that
they have followed that process. I also now indicate which of the
answer are 'more right' (I added gold stars next to the answers that
could potentially be justified) and am very explicit about the
circumstances under which a person might choose response A or response
B. So I make it clear to students what a 'good answer' looks like in
terms of the kind of justification they would need to provide (e.g.,
"If you assume X, then the answer is A but if you assume Y, then the
answer is B" - and then we have a discussion about why one might
assume X or Y) and I think that helps them get comfortable with the
fact that more than one of the choices could be 'right'.