From:
"Nelson, Michael H" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson, Michael H
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2010 15:32:11 -0600
Hi Christine,

At Regis University School of Pharmacy, we use TBL to deliver the majority of our classroom-based curriculum. Creating a standard attendance policy was therefore deemed critical by the pharmacy faculty to maintain consistency. I've copied below the text of the policy from our student handbook that covers absences from TBL courses:

Class attendance is required to receive credit for assignments and evaluation exercises completed during class. Absences will not be categorized as excused or unexcused. To accommodate the occasional necessary absence, classes delivered using team-based learning (TBL) will drop the lowest single iRAT, tRAT and application exercise score from each student’s course grade. An absence from a midterm exam will initiate Academic Jeopardy and a mandatory meeting with the student’s faculty advisor, course director and the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs. For classes that have a final comprehensive exam, midterm exams missed due to absence will not be made up; instead, the percent contribution of the final comprehensive exam score to the final course grade will be increased to account for the missed midterm exam(s). For courses that do not have a comprehensive final exam the exam absence policy will be decided by the course director in consultation with the Curriculum Committee Chair and the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, with the understanding that students will be assessed over all course material and demonstrate concept/content mastery. Final exams missed due to an absence will be handled on a case-by-case basis by the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and the course director.
If a student arrives to class after an iRAT has started, he/she will not be allowed to take the iRAT. The student will remain outside of the classroom until the iRAT is complete and will receive a zero for the missed iRAT. However, the student may then join their team for the tRAT and receive the team grade. Additionally, a student needs to be present for the entire team application exercise to receive credit for their contribution to the team’s grade. The same policy is in place for quizzes during a classroom course.

-- Michael

Michael Nelson, PhD, RPh
Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions School of Pharmacy
Regis University, Denver, Colorado
303.625.1265 (phone) 303.625.1305 (fax)