From:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2011 09:58:34 +0800
Dear Mary,

An interesting question which you will probably get a variety of responses.  I know there are people who are doing much online learning with collaborations of teams - with successful results.  The issue is - Is it TBL - or is it some other type of collaborative/team learning?

From a purist standpoint - I personally believe it is difficult to do TBL online.  But I know people attempt to do many elements of TBL in that manner.

IRAT - of course the questions can be done before class electronically (and many people do that to save classroom time.  You just lose the control over how independent that process really is.

GRAT - much more difficult to do online.  Requires a real-time team consensus.  Sure, Blogs/chat/(web) discussion groups can permit teams to discuss their answers...but again, you lose some of the control over the team dynamics (talking vs writing, in person versus virtual) and perhaps can't know someone is looking up the answers.  You also lose the opportunity for the faculty to facilitate a whole class discussion around the answers - unless you go real high tech with everyone virtually in the classroom.  But then you can lose attention.  I know I don't stay focused when I'm working in an online environment (conference calls for example)- compared to being there in person.

Application - if follow the framework of 4'S (which are the elements of a good application)- it can be difficult to do some of those within an online environment.  As a re-cap, the 4 S's are:
1. Same problem (easy)
2. Significant problem (also easy)
3. Specific choice (easy to design to have to make a choice, more difficult to have that choice be decided collaboratively by the team.
4. Simultaneous reporting - (and subsequent follow-up/discussion/debate).  This is the more difficult aspect.

So, there are many forms of online, collaborative, e-learning which are great, possible, and feasible.  But, my personal belief is that TBL (as defined) still requires real-time in-person team and faculty interactions for the best benefits of all the values that come with that process.

Sandy
Sandy COOK, PhD | Senior Associate Dean, Curriculum Development |
Medical Education, Research, and Evaluation (MERE) |
Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School Singapore | Khoo Teck Puat Building | 8 College Road Singapore |169857 |
W: (65) 6516 8722| F: (65) 6227 2698 |
email: [log in to unmask] | web:  http://www.duke-nus.edu.sg;

Administrative Executive: Belinda Yeo | [log in to unmask] | 6516-8511

Important:  This email is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.  Thank you.