From:
Bill Goffe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2017 11:55:42 -0500
It isn't TBL, but for direction comparison between a very active classroom
and one based on lecture by "by a motivated faculty member with high
student evaluations and many years of experience teaching this course" see
Deslauriers, Schelew, and Wieman, "Improved learning in a large-enrollment
physics class," Science 332.6031 (2011): 862-864. For a non-paywalled
version, see http://www.math.unm.edu/mctp/gstts/science.pdf .

A key part of this study as students had no incentive to study for the
assessment that compared learning in the active classroom to the lecture
based one (the experiment lasted for just one week). Thus, it just
measured the classroom component, which is something that we can control.
It is awfully hard for us to influence how much students study!

The mean score on the assessment for the lecture-based class was 41% and
it was 74% for the active class; this difference was about 2.5 standard
deviations.

I would think that such a study design would be rather straightforward to
do in other settings -- compare lecture to TBL for a week or so and give
an assessment that students only receive credit for completing. Likely
TBL would achieve similar results. If no one has done such a study I
really hope that someone does!

Part of the reason for this large result is described in an earlier paper
by the last author of the above paper: "Why Not Try a Scientific Approach
to Science Education,"
http://cwsei.ubc.ca/SEI_research/files/Wieman-Change_Sept-Oct_2007.pdf .
TBL certainly fits into the reasons he's describes.

    - Bill

P.S. The last author of the first paper is a leader in STEM education
     research. He's at Stanford with a joint appointment between physics
     and their Graduate School of education. He's received both a Nobel
     Prize and Carnegie Foundation's U.S. University Professor of the Year
     Award (for teaching).

Terri asked:

--
Bill Goffe