From:
"Tobin, Tammy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tobin, Tammy
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2010 08:35:57 -0400
Hi Christine

My genetics course is listed in our central curriculum as "team intensive",
so my students expect that they will be required to develop team behavior
that would lead to success in the professional world.  This means that
absences must be reported in advance not only to the boss (me) but to the
other members of the team so that they can plan accordingly.  When a student
knows in advance that they will miss class (a field trip, family funeral,
job interview, etc.) then I generally allow the student to take the iRAP
immediately before they depart campus, and to leave notes on their iRAP
sheet for their team members.  That way they participate as fully as
possible, and can receive both grades.

Of course, not all misses are foreseeable.  Since my class is at 8:00 am, an
email to me (before the start of class) that copies all of the team members
is sufficient as a starting point for 'notification in advance'.  I then
evaluate the nature of the absence.  If it is a skip, then the student gets
a zero on the iRAP and the tRAP.  If it is not a skip, then I drop the
grades.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has figured out a good way to have
students make up tRAP activities after they have been administered to the
class?

Tammy